Each year, Samsung unveils a new smartphone in their Galaxy product line and each year, they hardly disappoint. Their phones were primarily criticised for their plastic casing, which resulted in a rather mediocre feel, however the Galaxy S6 severely improved on its model by introducing a nice mixture of glass and matte to create a smooth metal exterior. The downsides to the S6 model mainly attributed to the lack of basic features that Samsung decided to remove, such as an absence of a non-removable battery and expandable storage.
Well this year at MWC 2016, Samsung once again one upped their previous model, in a significantly insignificant way. While the phone’s visuals remained more-or-less identical, the phone has gone through many under the hood changes that make the Galaxy S7 an imposing force in the smartphone market. These small changes include allowing MicroSD cards with up to 200 GB of storage, a longer lasting battery, and better water resistance ratings. Additionally, this year’s model is being praised for having potentially one of the best smartphones on the market, which may come as a surprise to many, seeing as how Samsung downgraded the camera’s pixels from 16 MP (S6) to 12 MP (S7). But in this case, the megapixel downgrade results in a higher resolution and a higher photo quality. These small upgrades, which many people have been asking for, can most definitely help the phone be recognized for a potential “Phone of the Year” candidate.
For those into reading into a phone’s specifications, check them out, courtesy of CNET!
- Android 6.0 Marshmallow software
- 5.1-inch screen with 2,560×1,440-pixel resolution
- Either 32 or 64GB of storage, depending on the region
- MicroSD card slot for extra storage up to 200GB
- 12-megapixel camera (get the story below)
- Water-resistant (IP68 rating)
- 3,000 mAh battery (versus 2,550 mAh on Galaxy S6)
- “Always-on” display shows time, calendar or images from the lock screen
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 processor (or Samsung’s Exynos chipset in some regions)
- Dedicated gaming feature makes it easier to record sessions and screenshots; a do-not-disturb mode blocks incoming notifications
- Colors: black onyx, gold platinum
So, when can you expect to your hands on this year’s model? After its official announcement at MWC 2016 on February 21, 2016, the phone could be preordered. The official release date in the US and the UK is expected to be on March 11, 2016. Companies all around the world are beginning to produce all possible gadgets and accessories in preparation for this year’s blockbuster release. From wireless chargers, to screen protectors, to customizable Samsung Galaxy S7 phone cases, companies are sure to prepare for the large demand of one of this year’s best smartphones!